Category Archives: quiche
The chicks have gone back to school and the house seems very quiet without them. However it was nice to get our dining table back!
Purple Sprouting Broccoli is one of my favourite vegetables and whenever it’s in season I make a concerted effort to eat as much as possible. After seeing David at Book The Cook’s Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Sheep’s Cheese Tart I decided to have a go at making my own version using some of the leftover goat’s cheese from the Mother’s Day Feast.
Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Goats Cheese Tart
9-inch baked shortcrust pastry base (do a Delia and cheat with a ready-made one or make your own)
50g goats cheese, broken into small chunks.
handful of small purple sprouting broccoli florets
a couple of twists of black pepper
1) Preheat oven to 160oc. Whisk together eggs, milk and pepper.
2) Sprinkle broccoli florets and goats cheese over the base then pour egg mix over. Bake for 30-40 until golden. Allow to cool for 10 min before eating.
Continuing our theme of not-so-healthy dinners, I made a bacon & mushroom quiche for tea tonight. I admit I cheated slightly with the pastry. I can make really short pastry which is great for mince pies, but not so good with quiche so I picked up some ready made pastry in the shops. I’ve never really “baked blind” before and I forgot that pastry does sometimes shrink, but I managed to fit nearly all of the egg mix in. However I forgot that our oven is on a slight slant and the egg mix tipped out of the back of the pie and into the oven. Oh well!
Bacon and mushroom quiche
pre-cooked pastry base
3 rashers of bacon, cut into pieces
100ml double cream
handful of grated mature cheddar
1) Preheat oven to 160oc. Fry bacon and mushrooms until cooked. Sprinkle pastry base with cheese then bacon & mushroom
2) Whisk eggs, milk and cream together then season. Pour egg mix in base. Cook on a baking tray in the middle of the oven for 30-40 minutes.
Asparagus & Ricotta Tart
1 ready-made pastry base (You can make your own, but I’m crap at pastry)
200ml whole milk
4 spears of asparagus
1) Preheat oven to 180oc. Beat together eggs and milk. Season with salt & pepper.
2) Pour egg mix into tart base. Arrange spears of asparagus in tart. Dollop over teaspoons of ricotta and sprinkle with mint.
3) bake for 25-30 min until set and slightly golden. Leave to cool for at least 10 min before serving.